Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cake Release

One thing I learned while taking the Wilton Cake Decorating class Course 1, was that the key to a smooth cake, was no crumbs. And having no crumbs, starts at the very beginning of your process. Preparing your pan. Just think about it. If you have a hard time getting your cake out, and it tears a bit, you have loose cake crumbs all over. And when you are frosting, they are bound to come to the surface. I always had problems with  crumbs, until I learned about this fabulous product from Wilton, called 'Cake Release'. It's like magic! All you do is use a pastry or silicon brush, squirt it into your cake pan, and spread it around. No need for flouring, which eliminates a step. For me, that is huge. Time is valuable. After your cake is baked, it will literally fall out of the pan. Like I said, M-A-G-I-C!

Now, there have been times where I'm in the middle of baking 3 or 4 cakes for a customer, and I run out of my niffty little friend, and I have to resort to shortening/flour. Which I had no choice resorting to until I made a trip to my local Hobby Lobby store. But recently, I have found a new solution, and I am real excited about it. I haven't tried it yet, but it got 9 1/2 stars out of 10 in reviews. They said it didn't leave the cake all dry and pastey from the flour, and it wasn't too moist from the shortening. The best part is, it's things that most bakers have around the house! So if I don't have my #1 choice, at least I'll have a close second. And it can be stored! Let me know if you try it, and how it works out for you.

Ingredients


2 c. flour
1 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. vegetable oil

Instructions

In a medium bowl, mix 1 c. flour with 1/2 c. vegetable shortening on medium low speed on mixer until well blended. Add remaining flour and shortening and continue mixing until blended well. Slowly drizzle in vegetable oil and blend until homogenous mixture is obtained.

1.Brush liberally on edges and sides of cake pan using pastry brush or silicon basting brush.
2.May be stored in refrigerator for up to 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment