Sunday, April 25, 2010

There is a first time for everything

I have made a lot of cakes in the last year. Some for birthdays, some for celebrations, some just because. But I had never done a wedding cake, until this last weekend. I was feeling a bit under the weather, so it was hard to get motivated. Somewhere, deep down, I found it, and pulled it off.

It was for my friends sister, and basically my instructions were, well, no instructions. They said I could do whatever I thought would look good, but no roses, and no chocolate. I searched and search online to find some inspiration. Her colors were red, and a teal-ish baby blue. I found a few cute cakes, but most were solid blue, with red accents.. I wanted this cake to be a traditional white cake.

The flavors were difficult too. I didn't want all the layers to be the same, and it was really hard to think of 3 different combinations that weren't just 'white cake, vanilla frosting'. The flavors I choose was:

top tier- golden yellow cake, with a chocolate fudge frosting (I know she said no chocolate, that's why I choose it to be the top smallest tier where she wouldn't cut into it, but other people like chocolate, right?)

middle tier- lemon zest cake, vanilla butter cream, and a raspberry filling

bottom tier- classic wedding white cake, white chocolate butter cream, and I chopped up some fresh strawberries to go in the middle as a filling (almost like strawberry short cake)




I went a little gourmet, and really went out of my comfort zone trying new flavor combinations, but I hope it paid off (I'm still waiting for feedback from my friend who I gave the difficult job of tasting each one).

For being my first official wedding cake, I'm really happy with it. Had I had 2 more hours, I think it make have turned out a tiny bit different, but I have decided I really love this color combination. Congrats Libby.

No comments:

Post a Comment